Friday 25 February 2011

Flash Back Friday: Victorian Ladies



This is the second week of Karin's Flashback Friday were we choose a photo or photographs from the archives that has a special story or meaning behind it. As I haven't yet had a chance to scan my old school photos I am once again delving into the really old family photos.


So I am pleased to present my great grandmother Margaret Amy Brading (1885-1975) and her older sisters Hilda and Elsie:



The daughters had quite a tough later childhood as their father had vanished so when their mother died in 1895 they were packed off to orphanages. They had 4 older brothers so no-one in the family was able to care for all of them.




Photographs were so much more formal then! My great granny was a draper's assistant in Ryde, Isle of Wight. One day my great grandfather, who was convalescing on the island, spotted her dressing the window of the shop. He wangled an invitation to meet her and the rest they say is history! Thanks to that chance meeting there were 2 daughters, 5 grandchildren, 10 great grandchild and 16 great grandchildren with another on the way...

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos with such history behind them. Your great grandmother lived o be a good age didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be where my granny got her long lived genes from! Here's hoping I can do as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so elegant though - absolutely stunning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing trip back in time! You are really good at Flashback Friday! ;)

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are proper flashback photos indeed - so grand and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message