Friday 13 July 2018

Wild Swimming in the River Kent

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

After our enjoyable swim in Rydal Water my daughter and I wanted to go wild swimming again. This time in the River Kent nearer to home. So we headed down to Sedgwick where there are some good pools for swimming. The water levels there are very low at the moment so it reveals the way the river has carved a passage through the rocks:


Although this looks stunning its not a safe place to swim as its tricky to get in and out of the water. So we walked along the river bed to find a more suitable spot:



We had to walk a long way on what would normally be under the water:



There were still some fast flowing waterfalls that provided noise as well as a lovely view:




Eventually above a waterfall we found a calm, deeper pool that was a safe spot to enter the water in:




It was nice in the water but a tad chilly and not deep enough to swim so we moved further up the river to a sunnier spot with deeper water:




Apart from when we disturbed the debris on the bottom the water was amazingly clear:



Here is a video of some of our water adventure:


I wonder where we will swim next?

8 comments:

  1. It looks so fun. We holiday next to a swimming lake each summer and it is just fab to have a wild swim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flip flops or Wellies blog14 July 2018 at 23:25

    Looks like you found a good spot in the end. I really want to do this and have a few spots in Devon on my list, I think a wet suit might still be needed! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coombe Mill (Fiona)16 July 2018 at 07:23

    Is that a Go Pro you used for the video? It gives a great perspective on swimming in the river. It does look a stunning stretch and worth the explore to find the right place to do in. We have a lovely stretch along the Camel here in Cornwall that is great for wild swimming, I've not been in years but I do remember the river water is always bracing, even paddling at Coombe Mill on a hot day soon cools you down! I think the photos of the river Kent here are as stunning as the swimming itself.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to be swimming in the river! I’ve looked for swimming spots near us but everywhere is too shallow. There’s something quite special about wild swimming in rivers, I’ll have to do a bit more research about my part of the world! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for wild swimming!! And good work on finding a safe swimming spot. So lucky we've had such great weather for it this year #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a beautiful spot for a walk and glad that you managed to find a safe spot for some wild swimming too. I've never tried swimming in the wild but it sounds like fun. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helena “TheQueenofCollage” Ash18 July 2018 at 09:27

    This looks like an interesying way in which to cool down given all this summer heat. The only thing I'd query is how clean the water is. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message