Tuesday 5 August 2014

Recipe Variations on a theme with Venison Meatballs and Pasta

Like many families with younger children not everyone likes exactly the same foods. Now I haven't got the time or money to cook everyone something completely different every night (and nor should I give in to food fads too much!). However there are some very simple adjustments I can make to the basic recipe to suit all 3 of our tastes. 

Tonight I managed this with venison meatballs and pasta (just don't tell my son it was deer!). Whilst the meatballs were baking in the oven (20 minutes at 180C) I cooked some tricolore fusilli (don't tell my son what the green flavour was!). It's a nice relaxed way of cooking as there was minimal intervention required...

Now for my son just those 2 ingredients with cheese grated on the top are his ideal. My daughter has picked up on having gravy with hers as this is what they serve at school, though I think its with mash not pasta. I have tried this combo and wasn't keen so I just made enough gravy for her. For myself I was wanting something a little bit healthier but not requiring loads of effort, so I put some passata and mixed herbs in a little pan to heat through. For all of us I also cooked some peas in the microwave so at least the children had some form of vegetable.

Each of us was very happy with our own variations on a theme:


How would you serve your meatballs and pasta?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message