Monday 26 May 2014

Tackling the Garden

Every year I pledge to get on top of the garden and every year I fail miserably! For one thing we have had so much rain that its too boggy to walk on for months on end so the weeds just multiply. For another I am so not green fingered which is why I do so well at weeds...

Today my dad was coming round to cat proof the big guinea pig run and I was looked out of the window I knew that I had do something about the weeds:


It's not all doom and gloom as I seem to do well at keeping the roses I inherited alive and they open at different times. At the moment it is the purple roses turn:

purple rose

Whilst my daughter helped gramps with the chicken wire I pulled up most of the weeds down this side of the garden. It was much improved:




We had lunch on the front grass and I was admiring our mini wild flower meadow. This had been flourishing since I over heated the lawn mower trying to cut too long grass out the back: 

daisies in the grass

Back to work after lunch and I soon filled our green bin completely with weeds, dead plants and grass:


Things are beginning to look a lot tidier and the soil is now visible in places! I just need to work out what to do with the space created:


Hopefully as well the established bedding plants will have more room to thrive and grow:


This side has daffodils etc in the Spring so I have to be careful what I do with it:


With the guinea pigs established as lawn mowers in the back I took the electric lawn mower round the front to see if it would come back to life. It didn't take long to remove all the lovely daisies and healthy looking grass to leave a fairly sad looking lawn:


It's just not well drained enough to stay in top nick.. I was on a roll now so I turned to the annoying patch by the front path where the trees try to spring up saplings every year despite membrane and bark chippings:


It is quite therapeutic getting the loppers out and chopping down the unwanted mini trees and pulling up other green stuff:


I may have ended up over filling the green bin though:


It was nice to sit in the back garden comfortably this evening with a BBQ and admire the work so far. Yes there is a way to go but it was a successful day:

Kendal sunset

4 comments:

  1. It's looking fantastic! So great to be able to see your hardwork pay off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life With Munchers27 May 2014 at 13:49

    Loving the green bin! It'll be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. with it being in such a state to start with was easy to see a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just hope they take it that full ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message