Tuesday 5 February 2013

Snowdrops

There is just something about seeing the first snowdrops each year. They are somehow the first indication that winter will end and everything will spring back to life. Not only that but they are beautiful to look at and so delicate.

So I was pleased to see them in the churchyard yesterday morning:



As it had snowed over night and into this morning I went back for another peek:


The snow sets them off nicely I think. Do you love snowdrops too? William Wordsworth did:

TO A SNOWDROP

LONE Flower, hemmed in with snows and white as they
But hardier far, once more I see thee bend
Thy forehead, as if fearful to offend,
Like an unbidden guest. Though day by day,
Storms, sallying from the mountain-tops, waylay
The rising sun, and on the plains descend;
Yet art thou welcome, welcome as a friend
Whose zeal outruns his promise! Blue-eyed May
Shall soon behold this border thickly set
With bright jonquils, their odours lavishing
On the soft west-wind and his frolic peers;
Nor will I then thy modest grace forget,
Chaste Snowdrop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

1819. 

2 comments:

  1. I indeed love snowdrops. When my Great Grandfather moved into residential care I took a bunch from his garden and 25 years later I still treasure them :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message