Monday 18 November 2013

Feeling Festive with the Kendal Santa Dash

Christmas does seem to get earlier every year in the shops but to me it's not proper Christmas until Advent. However yesterday it was the Christmas light switch on in Kendal with the Santa Dash and lots of entertainment. 

It was a damp, mizzling day which meant a lower turn out for the Santa Dash but my son and I were keen to get going:


Cancer Care Santa Dash Kendal
Honest he was keen!

After warming up with a local dance troupe the town crier set us off for the dash through the streets of Kendal. There were a few surprised faces from people who obviously weren't expecting a crowd of Santas and reindeer to be on the pavements! My son was much faster than last year and in fact about a third of the way round I gave up trying to run at his pace and went back to my normal steady one...

We went along one side of the river and then went over 2 bridges to end up back at Abbott Hall where Santa's reindeer were waiting to see us:

reindeer

My son was an amazing 5th whilst I was about 10th but the first lady! We retired to the cafe for a well earned snack:

Abbott Hall mince pie

Then we went back outside where Santa was preparing to board his sleigh whilst Kendal Concert Band played festive tunes:

Santa, reindeer and sleigh

The magic of it all still gripped my 7 year old:

Watching Santa

Then we got into a good position to follow Santa back into town:

baby reindeer

The Queen Katherine School samba band led the procession up the road. 
Then we listened to more music before the big countdown to Santa turning on the lights. By this time my phone battery had gone flat so no more photos... There was a big crowd now despite the damp and there was a huge cheer when the lights went on. So now Christmas shopping can properly begin as we have festive lights!

We ran in aid of Cancer Care so if you want to sponsor my son's fabulous achievement then please pop over here:  


JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message