Saturday 30 November 2013

#CountryKids A retrospective day on Windermere

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

To my shame I haven't been out and about with the children this week except for the school run and an unphotographed scoot to church as we have just been too busy! So instead this is something we did last summer and I really must do again. One grey and damp afternoon I purchased each of us a day trip ticket for the Windermere steamers and we set off to see how much use we could get out of it. First up was a sail on Tern from Lakeside up to Bowness:

MV Tern Windermere

She is a beautiful old vessel and we enjoy our trips on her. It was such a shame that as we boat hopped the weather was pretty damp and we spent a lot of time inside the cabins:


Windermere steamer

The children were brave enough to pose for photographs out on deck a couple of times:




My favourite part of the journey was the little launch from Waterhead over to Wray Castle:


Wray Castle boat house

Wray Castle boat house

On this occasion we didn't get out to explore the castle but its well worth a visit.

These are my top tips for spending a day on the Windermere steamers:
  • Start early to get as much in as you can and actually stop and explore
  • Use timetables to work out the way you want to go
  • Take plenty of warm/waterproof gear as its chilly out on the water
  • To keep costs down take a picnic (wish I'd had a flask of coffee or hot chocolate on this trip!)
I really must try a winter trip as we get a 50% discount as locals!


9 comments:

  1. That castle looks lovely! I'm a wimp, that looks too we for me but I must go to the Lakes next year as it's not too far a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun trip whatever the weather. Your children certainly are troopers posing for the camera in the rain! I keep meaning to take a flask of hot chocolate when we go out at the moment. I've managed it once. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coombe Mill (Fiona)30 November 2013 at 00:43

    the winter trip sounds fab and it is so mild and dry at the moment I reckon you could still do the picnic too! Hope you manage it and thanks for sharing your rainy day out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara (@mumturnedmom)30 November 2013 at 02:32

    That looks like a lovely way to spend the day! Hope you manage a winter trip - but definitely take a flask of something :) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that castle but we've not explored it yet. I'd love to one day. It looks like you had lots of fun despite the weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this place is on my to do list for next summer its just stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a fantastic trip out despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the places I'd love to visit with the kids.
    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah @apartyofseven30 November 2013 at 23:30

    what fab top tips and looks like a great day out!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message