Saturday 25 February 2012

Butler's Sink Rock Garden

Last month I was in the right place at the right time (dropping my son off at school) to end up the proud owner of a free Belfast sink! I decided to turn it into a rock garden but until today I hadn't had a chance to complete the project. Having bought suitable plants during half term my mum came round today to help us.


By the time I'd got the three of us wrapped up to join my mum she had already done the bulk of the work:



The sink had been raised to a level off the ground to allow drainage from the plughole. Rocks were added to the bottom then it was filled with soil/compost. Some rocks were then artistically arranged before the plants were put in:


measuring the space needed

 
digging the hole

last one going in
When it was finished my daughter and my dad scrubbed up the sink to show it off at its best:



Here are some close ups of the lovely alpines we chose for the rock garden:


my daughter's choice

My son's choice

My choice


2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of the old butlers sink, by day ours is a water table for the children to play in, by night it's a wine & beer cooler. The alpines look lovely. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The selection of plants is just perfect

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message