Sunday 16 January 2011

Change4Life: Step 1 - 3 meals a day



As per my first Change4Life post yesterday I am going to do a post each week based on each of the 8 points they recommend to get our kids living longer, healthier, more active lives. So this week it's getting your kids to eat 3 meals a day. If you have a blogpost that goes with this topic then please add to the link below (it's supposed to be a blog hop so hopefully you can grab the code...).


I have to say that having 3 meals a day is not a problem area in our house. The children are not allowed to leave for school without breakfast and we always have one light and one main meal as well. Making these at a regular time is not as successful. One way to make them more regular is to plan ahead. I have found that since the week's menu is clearly up on the wall in the kitchen I can work out how long it will take to make. This means that meals are happening at an appropriate time and therefore at better intervals for the children. 




The other thing I am working on is making sure that all meals except breakfast are taken at the kitchen table. We slipped into bad habits in the winter of eating meals in front of the TV for convenience. Sitting round the table makes for better behaviour and encourages good eating habits. At the minute I am on a different menu to my children, so when they sit down to their main meal at about 5, I sit with them but only eating a bowl of fruit salad or something similar.


What do you do to ensure that your children have 3 regular meals a day? If you have any tips to share on areas such as menu planning then please add to the blog hop below and then copy the code to your own post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message