Tuesday 17 April 2018

#CountryKids A walk on the Lancaster Canal and River Kent

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

On a cool and wet day over the holidays I persuaded my son to take a walk along the Lancaster Canal Trail which follows the old Lancaster Canal:


For much of the route to Sedgwick from Kendal there are only relics of the old canal alongside the path:


However most of the bridges are still in place which looks a bit odd in an otherwise ordinary field:


At some of the bridges the remnants of the canal are a lot more obvious:



The stone edges to the old tow path make a safe and dry passage along the trail:


Not all the trail is through fields. There is a section through woodland where trees have grown in the old canal bed:


Its a bit primeval in parts with the moss covered old walls:


This is my favourite ghost bridge as its not even got any obvious canal with it. The only problem is that the water and mud collect under it:


As you pass Sedgwick the towpath is well maintained as it is well used:


After crossing the Sedgwick viaduct we abandoned our walk as we had covered 3 miles and my son was whinging too much:


We walked down the lane towards the river we past a host of beautiful daffodils:


Once following the river we followed the bridlepath which at times was too muddy requiring a deviation onto the adjacent desire path:


We then turned off onto footpaths through a wood full of wild garlic:


At this point the Kent was roaring across the rocks:


Not all of the path is in the woods and we walked across some fields too:


My son was truly miserable by the time we reached Hawes Bridge so we headed up the road back to the canal:


Then we just had to retrace our steps along the old canal:


Last year I used to run along this route and got an extra workout with all the stiles:


We finally got back to where the canal goes under Natland Mill Beck Lane:


As you can see the walk was a little bit on the muddy side:


Over the summer I am hoping to walk the full length of the canal from Preston to Kendal. Quite a challenge but I am hoping that I will raise money for charity by doing so!


4 comments:

  1. Coombe Mill (Fiona)17 April 2018 at 22:56

    I love how they split the course and races for the different age groups, it looks quite a challenge for each of them. The oldest group look very fit, I'd never keep up with them even with a big head start! Well done y our son and what a shame to miss out on the points, he does so well.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brilliant is this?! What a hardy bunch of kids .... #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great for the kids and a shame to be so close to the points. Great perseverence #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensational Learning with Peng25 April 2018 at 19:04

    Great to see, reminds me of when I was a kid (in Sweden) and used to do cross-country running (with races like Lidingoloppet, Rosjoloppet, and Stockholm Mini Marathon. It was really my mum's interest more than my own, but still carries some fun memories. Well done to your son! x
    #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message