Monday 14 August 2017

#CountryKids Dunmore Cave

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall
After the fun of Foot Golf it was Gramp's turn to choose an activity and he opted for Dunmore Cave which wasn't too far away. Its almost a tradition now to visit an underground attraction on our holidays! After a video introduction we descended into the cave following our guide:



It looked rather creepy as we were about to go in especially after hearing the story of a massacre of women and children in the cave by Vikings in 928 AD:




Once we had reached the bottom of the main steps we could still see the daylight reassuringly at the top:







The guide turned on lights so that we could appreciate the rock formations and to explain how the cavern system had developed:




It is quite incredible to think that these little stalactites have taken centuries to form to this size:




The most famous stalactite is the bison which in a few thousand years may meet the stalagmite on the floor:




The most impressive stalagmite is the Market Cross which is pretty spectacular:




At this point the guide demonstrated how dark it was in the caves by turning off the lights! It really made you imagine how scary it must have been for the women and children hiding in there from the Vikings... For me it was a great feeling to head back up the stairs and into the daylight...



6 comments:

  1. I've never heard if foot golf before but it looks a lot of fun, especially for someone who loves football anyway. Mich x #Countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coombe Mill (Fiona)16 August 2017 at 22:07

    Well done on your win, I know my boys would thrash me now so make the most of it while you can. I have only played regular golf, I know you have tried foot golf before but I've never seen rugby golf. I love the photos of you son, he is really giving that ball his full weight down the fairways, I think he may catch you next year!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I never knew this existed. I can not wait until Monkey is old enough and I will take him to something like this. Although I suspect he will beat me first time I am not a very good kicker!! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely need to try it - maybe an idea for the farm ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message