Saturday 11 April 2015

#CountryKids at Polkerris and Megavissey

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

You can't go to Cornwall and not try out as many beaches as possible. So we headed along the coast to Polkerris. It felt like proper Cornwall to have to walk down a single track lane to find the sea:


Then you get a glimpse of the sea between the old lifeboat station and the pub:


It was a lovely quiet beach with sand and rock pools:


I was only brave enough to get into the water up to my ankles:


My children were dead keen to get to don their wet suits and raced into the sea:


My brother had his wet suit too so all of them enjoyed swimming in the clear water:


With water temperature around 10 degrees centigrade the children had to warm up by digging in the sand, after I had bought new buckets and spades!


Then I went off shell collecting with my son. We found quite a variety on the sand and in the rock pools:


By now we were all hungry so set about tracking down food for 8 people. As we had left it late the snack bar could only feed four of us so I headed into the restaurant to order take out pizza! They had this amazing collage made of flotsam on the wall:


Now they were warmed up the children and my brother decided it was time for the age old challenge of beat the tide:


Of course they were doomed to fail so went for a final swim instead (without wet suits brrrr!):


Once we had managed to drag the children off the beach and back to the car we headed to Megavissey in search of a fish and chip supper. It has wonderful tiny streets:


We reached the harbour just before sunset and the light on the water was so beautiful:



Then we tucked in to freshly cooked fish and chips:


I would definitely go back to both these places!

11 comments:

  1. What a busy day! you packed so much into your visit. National Trust egg hunts are so much fun and well done to you all on your Park Run

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say they're mad even with wetsuits going in the water at this time of year, but I guess kids don't worry about that. Megavissey looks like a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kids just want to get in the sea! I want to see more of Megavissey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful beach and it looks like you had great fun! A great way to end the day with fish and chips too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can't go to Cornwall and not have fish n chips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Days Out Reviews11 April 2015 at 22:22

    What a brilliant place to do a Parkrun. Am thinking of signing us all up soon. We have a huge one near us. The house looks amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have had a great time, looks like summer :) whoo yummy fish and chips..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful achievements from you and your son, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Cornwall and Polkerris looks like one of the typical villages that I'd really enjoy. It really is such a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coombe Mill (Fiona)25 April 2015 at 14:14

    I love Mevagissey and Polkerris, I rarely get to visit which is silly as they are really not that far from us. so please to see your children running in the sea and enjoying Cornwall, having now met them I can imagine their enjoyment on a day like this. My fondest memories of Mevagissey are fish and chips and icecreams round the harbour. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merlinda Little26 April 2015 at 08:34

    Such a lovely looking place. How can kids bathe in the cold water? Kids really do have their own body heater! And that fish and chips looks so yummy =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message