Friday 10 April 2015

#CountryKids at Lanydrock

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall


Before we went to Cornwall I had checked out the nearest Parkrun and discovered it was at Lanhydrock. I persuaded my brother to pack his running gear so that my son had someone fast to run with! We all got up bright and early and drove the 30 minutes from our holiday accommodation to join in with what turned out to be a record breaking Parkrun for the location:


It was a lovely route and for a section of it I ran alongside a regular. Then my stinking cold stopped me breathing through my nose so I had to walk a while through the woods:



There were a few photographers around and they caught us all on camera:



My daughter met me near the finish and ran with me after I had recovered the long up hill! Not my finest 5k to date but my son was 3rd in the under 10 boys category. We had to recover with cake in the cafe before looking around the house and garden.





There was one of the National Trust's Easter Egg Hunts which had three children dashing around the garden to solve the clues:


Then we headed into the house to investigate how the Victorians had rebuilt the house after the fire of 1881. The rooms have been mocked up to show what life was like back then:



The children did another trail hunting for eggs around the house. This was harder than it first looked!




I liked the way they had included facts on pie cases and in embroidery:


The one bit of the Jacobean house that survived is the amazing gallery:



I would love to go back and explore at my own pace, oh and do the Parkrun without a cold!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like a fab time you had there - loving all the animals :) So adorable those little lambs, must have been a pretty fun experience feeding them :) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. three boys and a cat11 April 2015 at 00:32

    You got some fab photos, love the donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a magical place perched up there on the cliffs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coombe Mill (Fiona)11 April 2015 at 01:45

    I still love that photo with Rocky, looking back over your photos it is hard to believe what a miserable day it was, just goes to show it really doesn't bother the kids, they had something other than the rain to focus on and really enjoyed themselves which was lovely to see. Hot coffee and biscuits was just the ticket afterwards! Great to have finally met you too Becky and I'm glad the Cornish weather improved for the rest of your holiday. Thank you for linking up to Country Kids from right here at Coombe Mill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for having us tagging along! one day we may even manage a stay - maybe when I have grandchildren at this rate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like Tintagel but neither of my two are keen on it at the moment-they don't like it being so high and exposed! I'm hoping as they get older we'll get the chance to explore it properly one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is quite scary for that! go on a non windy day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this looks like a gorgeous, romantic place, straight out of a film. Maybe the weather added to its mystery! Well done on finding the treasure

    ReplyDelete
  9. it does have a certain something

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tintagel Castle is a lovely place to visit, if you can overlook the heights! You didn't manage to pick the best day for it but it's a lovely place to go even on stormy days like this. It's great you managed to complete the treasure hunt for those who were a bit too nervous about the heights... I don't really blame them! Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it does look rather high for me! I am a bit of a chicken and probably stay at the bottom whilst my children and hubby explored #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Think I went on a sunny day last time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look like you had an amazing time and what a fantastic time to visit with all the babies around I bet it was incredible getting so feed and snuggle them x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I have been here but when I was much younger. The treasure hunt sounds like a great idea to you get you exploring. It does look like you need a head for heights x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's such a beautiful place - very wild in the wind though although I do love the dramatic setting. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merlinda Little12 April 2015 at 09:05

    Awww its always so lovely for kids to touch and experience farm animals! Theres always so much love when this is happening like in here. Rocky is so cute! =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message