Monday 9 April 2012

Family Fun: Easter Edition


Welcome to week 7 of the Family Fun blog hop. For more details please read the launch page. In the words of a classic 1970s children's TV programme this is about switching off the television and doing something more useful instead!


It has been the Easter weekend so I'd love you to share what your family has been getting up to! We have had quite an exciting weekend as we took pass the first Kendal Passion Play for 400 years. An amazing experience to be involved in this street theatre project. I wrote about the first part on Friday and the finale is on the official blog.


  
Yesterday as a reward for my children I dug out our National Trust member card, paid this year's fees and headed off to Sizergh Castle for our now annual NT Easter Egg hunt. Last year we did the same thing but it different weather.


The event is so popular that we had to park in the overflow car park and there were lots of families on the site. After collecting our sheets and pens the children hurtled off to find clue 1 with the aim of completing the search as quickly as possible. They barely left me time to capture photographs of some of the beautiful sights in the gardens:





Last year the Easter Bunny pointed the way to the next clue. This year it was more higgledy piggledy and took us to bits of the garden I hadn't been to before like the sunken garden:



The trail eventually looped all the way round to the other side of the castle and gave us a good view of the original medieval tower:



The grounds are beautifully maintained and there are some glorious magnolia trees:


We eventually found the last clue and the children shot off to claim their rewards:



After collecting their eggs my daughter queued up for a free face painting. She opted for a simple Easter egg on her face rather ran a bunny or chick:



She was done just in time for our alloted time slot into the castle itself. I barely had time to add to my door knocker collection:


My son was old enough this time to do the castle trail in which he had to spot various items in each room of the castle. There was also an additional Easter chick hunt to keep the children keen. My daughter didn't want to do either and I didn't see much of her on the way round. At least this time my son took longer in each room which gave me a chance to look around (the last time he had shot through the whole castle at a rate of knots! The castle is a real mix of ages from the original medieval tower to the later additions. I really must go around without children sometime to appreciate it more.

I would love to know what you have been up to so please share your posts on the link.
----------
get the InLinkz code

1 comment:

  1. Our Easter fun activities involved making some Octoeggs (http://mama.ie/?p=4508), followed by some Easter eggs (http://mama.ie/?p=4510), and then finally a splash in the sea in our wellies to work off some of that chocolate! (http://mama.ie/?p=4525)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message