Monday 29 September 2014

#CountryKids helping mummy on her #OneBigFatRun

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall


This weekend I was bemoaning to Fiona at Coombe Mill about my lack of outdoor time with the children now we are all back at school/uni! Then I realised that I could combine my need for taking part in the One Big Fat Run and getting them out in the fresh air. Normally going out for a run means grabbing my kit and a drink and hitting the tarmac. However, heading out with my children adds complexity to the proceedings:

  1. help daughter extract bike from shed
  2. pump up bike tyres
  3. lace up son's running shoes
  4. try (and fail) to persuade children to take water bottles
  5. inform children as to the route we are going
  6. head off for the run trailing after the children:

From a distance observe daughter's biking skills and note to tell her to improve road positioning at junctions:



Try to keep up with super speedy scooting son as he makes the most of the slopes en route:



Keep checking that the children are following the correct route for the chosen run. As its not an official training run attempt to run as many 12 minute intervals as possible. Complete run to find that the children have been back for ages:



Both objectives achieved with children out enjoying the fresh air plus exercise and mummy doing her run:

13 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Way to multi-task Mrs ;) I haven't tried to combine running with the kids yet. I think the constant 'are we there yet?' moans might be a little off putting.... great post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a bit more stressful than normal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the last one, how cute is that? No captions I'm afraid as my brain doesn't work that well this early! x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coombe Mill (Fiona)1 October 2014 at 14:47

    I love this, a fun post and multitasking at it's best, I'm glad we had that twitter chat now. Actually I have been doing similar with the teens of late. They have been running the coast path with me which has been great exercise for me keeping up with them and a good chance to talk about "stuff" with them without competing with their screen time or homework or having the whole family listen in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish mine would run but this was a compromise ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to check out big fat run now, I'm just writing a post about getting back into running actually. Thing is, if I took my son, he would want to turn back at the top of the road! Maybe when he's a bit older! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mine is nearly 8! thing is he can run almost that far but chose not too as no medal for doing it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coombe Mill (Fiona)4 October 2014 at 00:44

    It's a great compromise, thank you for linking up to Country Kids, I hoped you would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good skills! Multitasking Mamma! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing way to get fit! Always a dream of mine to do something that would kickstart a healthy habit but never got to. Someday, one day =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  11. sometimes you just have to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message