Wednesday 3 September 2014

#CountryKids at Martin Haven

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

One day whilst we were in Pembrokeshire my son wasn't very well so he and I had to miss the 2 trips out to Tenby and Folly Farm. Instead we drove a little way around the coast to Martin Haven to see the local wildlife. Its a lovely spot adjacent to Skomer Island. The car park is National Trust so that saved us £5.

This is where you can get boats to the island to see the sea birds which at certain times include puffins. My son would not go in the boat so we had to make do with the land based birds:


As it was a lovely but windy day we hiked up onto the headland to see if we could see Skomer:


It was a wonderful spot to view the Pembrokeshire Coastal National Park from:



My eagle eyed son spotted this bird of prey looking for its lunch over the cliffs:


The haven itself has been a harbour for millenia as was shown by this Celtic cross that was discovered in the local area:


My son had been amused by finding bird droppings on the urinals and when we came out of the information centre we found some of the culprits:


It was such a lovely place to walk that when we were told that we had missed seal pups in the bay we headed straight back across the headland:


After carefully peering over the cliff edge we spotted the pups and then the mothers:



After a while my son decided he wanted to investigate the tip of the headland:


He was obviously feeling much better as he clambered up the rocks:


On the way back we stopped and looked at the seals again:


I managed to shoot a little bit of video of one:


I would love to return to this beautiful spot again:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message