Tuesday 24 July 2018

Big Butterfly Count

I decided to take part in the Big Butterfly Count after seeing it promoted by Sir David Attenborough. Having an insect friendly garden meant I didn't have to go away from home to spot several species. First up was a Peacock butterfly:


That shows why they have eyes to make them look scary to predators! There were two of them enjoying the nectar:


It was fascinating watching the proboscis being dipped into the flowers:



They look so much plainer when you can't see the colourful side of the wings:


The next type of butterfly I thought at first was a tortoiseshell but when I checked its identification I realised it was actually a Painted Lady


This was a little bit smaller than the peacock:


and not all phased by sharing the bush with plenty of bees:


Thanks to burst mode I caught it with its proboscis unfurling:


I think there were more bumblebees than anything else flying around looking for food:


This shot shows the distinctive white dots which give it the Painted moniker:


They are amazingly nippy when they take off:


I also saw a small white butterfly but it flew off too fast to be photographed! Have you taken part in the butterfly count? If so what have you seen?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message