Saturday 9 August 2014

Kendal Museum

We hadn't been to our local museum for over a year but as a way of enticing children to walk into town whilst the car was being MoT'd then it worked wonders:


As soon as we walked through the door my children were commenting on the changes! It was a lot more open and seemed lighter and more airy. All the favourite exhibits were still there but also more things were on display. 

Then we went into the basement to see the Seen Through Glass, Darkly art exhibition by David Blyth. It is all based upon taxidermy so not for the fainthearted but there are some beautiful items too:

Others are a wee bit more scary:


My son was keen to head to his favourite part of the museum the Natural History gallery which has plenty of examples of Victorian taxidermy in! There was also a new hands on evolution puzzle that my daughter enjoyed having a go on:


I always explain to my children that killing and stuffing animals was how the naturalists in pre modern times thought was the best way to study them. They know exactly where the bullet hole is in their old friend the polar bear:


It is good that my children find it sad to think of all the animals and birds killed for the sake of science/trophy hunting. They do also find it fascinating to see so many different species close up and to learn about extinction and endangered species. 

Our final gallery was the first floor dioramas of local flora and fauna. Included in here were a couple of rock xylophones that you can see and hear my children playing on Instagram. Interspersed with the exhibits is a special art exhibition by a local co-operative Green Door commemorating World War One. My daughter added her bit to a piece entitled War & Peace which invited us to contribute:


I was very taken by these wire sculptures by Brie Wharf:


It was quite hard to get my children to leave! I have to say that now they have a cafe area it would be quite tempting to sit there for a while and let my children wander/wonder to their hearts content. Even better when its a totally free experience.

10 comments:

  1. I've never been to Wray castle. Looks a lovely day out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coombe Mill (Fiona)9 August 2014 at 10:24

    Such a beautiful place and some wonderful views to admire. A perfect sunny day's visit with lots for the children and adults to enjoy. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great walk out.....I do love canal boats! They are always so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you all had a great time!! There looks so much to do there.
    Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that window shot is UNREAL! How beautiful! Looks like you had another really fun-packed adventure. Brilliant read :) X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great place to explore. And so nice to picnic and get in the water

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like a wonderful place to visit with so many fun activities for children and in such a stunning setting too. I love the photograph looking out through the windows of that marvelous view.


    Love all the water photos too and good recovery from your daughter and lovely skipping stones photo.


    Also love that picnic rug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous place, I love the picture frame!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lot of fun, cannot believe your kids went in the water! Making me shiver just looking at it :( x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks brilliant! I'll be putting it on my places to visit!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message