Saturday 16 June 2012

Family Fun: Liverpool

My daughter and I were being filmed for a Canadian TV documentary about the dangers of dog fouling and were invited to Liverpool to do it. We were put up for the night at Base2Stay which is a converted warehouse in the Rope Walk district. Whilst my son was looked after by a nanny my daughter and I earned our stay with plenty of filming at Waterstones and in the nearby streets:




Today we had plenty of time to see what Liverpool has to offer despite the rain and a lack of money we had a brilliant time. These are some of the best bits:

China Town



I've only ever seen the San Francisco one before so impressed to see one in England. My children had never seen anything like it before.

Anglican Cathedral


This dominates the skyline and the insides are equally impressive. My children especially loved the whisper arch and the tiny mouse on the sarcophagus of the Earl of Derby. Need to save up to go to top of the tower sometime! The stained glass windows are pretty impressive.

Albert Dock

I remember this area having been done up on my last visit in the early 1990s. There have been more changes one of which is the large wheel to give great views over the city. My 5 year old took some persuading but eventually we had our one paid for treat with a ride on it.



The docks are also home to various museums. We only had time to see the Maritime Museum and the Pier Master's House but they were very interesting and I'd love to see more sometime. There are other museums plus the Tate I would love to return to.

World Museum

This was recommended to me by another mum and was well worth a visit - in fact I could have spent longer there! There are 5 floors of exhibits and hands on galleries from natural sciences to space and history too. There is also an aquarium with a variety of fresh and salt water creatures. The staff were all really helpful and friendly too. My son surprised one custodian by being highly excited about ammonites! I would highly recommend this to anyone with primary aged children. 

For more photos of our weekend I created a Smilebox slideshow:


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Photo slideshow personalized with Smilebox

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool - it's a great city but then I would say that, it's my hometown :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message